One of the concepts I want you all to understand and master on your journey to a healthy 2022 and beyond is metabolic inflammation AKA metaflammation AKA Inflammaging. The key takeaway from this artistic masterpiece is that metabolic inflammation is chronic, systemic, low grade inflammation that can activate our innate immune system and lead accelerated aging and onset of chronic disease…let’s unpack this, FAQ style
WHAT IS METABOLIC INFLAMMATION?
- Metabolic Inflammation is chronic low grade inflammation that is mediated by macrophages located within the colon, liver, muscle and adipose tissue. This metaflammation leads to acceleration of the aging process and dysfunctional metabolism
WHAT IS A MACROPHAGE AND WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH METABOLIC INFLAMMATION?
- Macrophages are large white blood cells that surround and kill microorganisms, remove dead cells, and stimulate the action of other immune system cells. Macrophages also have a prominent role in the initiation, maintenance, and resolution of inflammation. Now this is key, macrophages equipped with the capacity to sense and respond to changes in homeostasis (translation: they can sense when you are being very very unhealthy)
- I’m not done. These homeostatic changes (obesity, smoking, overeating, excess alcohol, inadequate sleep, stress, gut dysfunction, and much more) can cause macrophages to polarize into the M1 phenotype that increases inflammation, tissue damage, and insulin resistance
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF METABOLIC INFLAMMATION?
- Weight gain/Insulin resistance, fatigue, brain fog, anemia, decreased immune system function, leaky gut, loss of muscle mass, and decreased nerve function…not to mention the chronic diseases (arthritis, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc) associated with chronic inflammation
THIS SOUNDS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, CAN I DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?
- Of course! After finding the root cause, we can develop a personalized plan that includes dietary changes, supplements, peptides, and more to resolve metabolic inflammation